Stories from North Dakota

Monday, August 07, 2006

Just One Day Closer

Well I got off my lazy ass and finally went down to the IT department and got the new laptops that the university gives out to all the aviation students. And when I say gives out, I mean makes me pay $400 a semester towards a "computer" fee. It's a nice computer. They stuck with Dell. I guess it would make sense after they signed that multi-million dollar contract with them.

We got a Dell Latitude D820. The lady at the IT department was very forcefull in her speech to me. I am sure she has already given it so many times it has become annoying to not only her but everyone else that works in the department. And school hasn't even started yet. Only 5,000 more speeches to recite.

"The university paid a lot of money for these machines. If you were to buy it on Dell's website with all the software and hardware upgrades we have done, you would pay $2,100. So don't break it. And don't copy software, if you need a CD, come by. And if anything is wrong, and I mean anything is wrong, the fan is noisy, the keypad is loud, bring it back, we need to get good use out of the warrenties."

I wouldn't pay $2,100 for a computer much less a laptop! All I am going to be using the laptop for is taking notes in class, typing up papers on campus, remote printing, and a bit of music for those times in between class. I bought the desktop for the pictures, music, games, etc.

But now I can be uber cool and snotty like all the other aviation students on campus carrying around their laptop bags, sipping their iced lattes, and talking in aviation coded lingo.

I can not wait for classes to begin again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home