Stories from North Dakota

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Winter Holidays Approaching

I was so bored at work tonight that I decided to just go ahead and book my holiday hotels for the roadtrip back home after this semester is completed. I would just love to fly home and not mess with all the issues that arise when traveling by car. But unfortuntely for me, my car registaration is due back in my home state. I could have just registared the car here in North Dakota, but I don't want that fucking ugly licence plate attached to my car. So I will be driving home this year for the holidays.

I like the fact that when you travel by air, you normally make one purchase for the whole trip: the airline ticket. Plus the fact that I can be home in 3 hours, including a layover in Chicago, makes flying home much more appealing. When you drive you have to add in the cost of fuel, right now it isn't too bad but that could change come December. You have to add in the cost of stopping at McDonald's or Burger King for some food. You have to add in the extra costs for hotels, because driving the 18 hours straight thru is just not an option, especially since I wont be leaving until noon at the earliest because of an early morning final. I just can not sit in the car for 18 hours. It is just impossible. I only have so many songs on CD and that drive thru North and & South Dakota, Nebraska, and Middle Missouri are just killers. So basically 92% of the trip is so boring that I just want to stab myself with the rear view mirror. And since it will be December when I leave and January when I return, it may be -20 degrees F outside with blinding snow storms along the way. That could add considerable time, maybe even days to my trip. Not a pleasant outlook. I wold rather be stuck at the airport in Chicago than in some backwoods motel out in the middle of wheat fields in South Dakota because of a snow storm. At least the airport would have indoor plumbing. That is just my personal opinion.

But since flying is not an option this year, I will be staying at a very nice hotel in Omaha. I don't have those big bucks like some of those other bloggers out there, I make 30 cents over minimum wage, so I couldn't stay at the US$300 a night place. However, I will be staying at the Doubletree in Omaha. It is definitely not Texas' finest like this place, that Sam stayed at, but it will sufice for my needs: a comfortable king bed, a tv, and a shower that drains, so I dont have to stand in water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home