Stories from North Dakota

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Communication class was brutally uncomfortable today and I have a feeling it is going to be that way for a few class periods. We started what is known as the gender game. Basically it is where the guys get on one side of the table and the girls on the other. This is the chance that you get to ask the opposite sex appropriate questions that you have always wanted to ask.

I had no input. I had no questions. I do have some same sex questions that I wouldn't mind asking but somehow I doubt that would be possible.

I really don't like sharing things with strangers or even just acquaintances, such as most of my classmates are just acquaintances. I find myself just withdrawing from the class more and more.

The professor pulled me aside right before I got the chance to dart out the door. She asked me if I was okay with this and I told her I was fine. Obviously she realizing with her superior interpersonal skills that I was lying. I am sure I will be handed some other assignment to turn in at a later date.

So I thought maybe I could ask my slightly biased audience some questions as my own personal gender game.

1. Is it okay to have a crush on your guy friends?

2. Why are guys threatened by homosexuality?

3. At what point do you have too many female friends?

4. When dating when is a right time to have sex for the first time?

5. If you are in a relationship is it okay to flirt with other people?

6. Is a family or a career more important to you?

7. How comfortable would you feel if your partner made more money than you? Significantly more money than you?

8. Would you be willing to give up your career so he could move to further his?

9. Would you be willing to give up your career to stay home and raise/take care of your children?

10. Are you physical looks really THAT important to you?

I have thousands more. But we can just start with that.

3 Comments:

  • 1. a) Yes. b) This is a moot question, since emotions don't follow the rules anyway.
    2. They aren't all. For those that are, I suspect it is a control issue.
    3. Uh... no clue. When they start cock-blocking, I guess.
    4. Totally variant on the people involved.
    5. If your partner is not threatened by it, then yes. If so, no.
    6. Family.
    7. Perfectly comfortable.
    8. I wouldn't give it up, I'd just resume it wherever we went. If we had kids, though, there would be a lot more involved in the decision, though.
    9. I would plan to.
    10. There has to be a physical attraction, but not "THAT" important.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

  • thanks chris

    By Blogger SFND, at 12:07 PM  

  • 1) yes, but be realistic.
    2) because society teaches (taught?) that it's bad, and at one time or another they've probably had a very homosexual thought or experience. in other words: i don't know.
    3) you can never have too many friends, but balance is good.
    4) sometimes the anticipation is better than the sex. but mostly that answer varies for every person and situation. personally i think it's better to stick to foreplay for as long as possible and in as many ways as possible.
    5) obviously not if it makes your partner jealous or uncomfortable, and not if it makes others think that you are on the market. but i'm not the jealous type...
    6) they're equally important but family comes first.
    7) glad that the finances were taken care of! but also maybe a little inadequate.
    8) depends on whose career had the most potential or was decidedly more important. at the current rate, though, i'd give up my career to be a houseboy.
    9) yes. but they are not being homeschooled. i am raising intelligent children with social skills.
    10) they matter but not in the same way that "what's inside" matters. besides, how you view people physically can change after you get to know them. attraction isn't black and white, at least not for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home