Stories from North Dakota

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One Storm Down... A Zillion More to Go

I survived my first North Dakota rain/freezing rain/sleet/snow/bizzard storm, but just barely. So today as the sun poked out for a few hours I decided to dig out the car, praying that it would start. I dont think the auto has adjusted quite yet to the cold windy weather of the Dakotas. It has the hardest time getting started. My mum says that I need to at least start my car every 5 days or so just to keep the battery charged up and working properly and so the oil doesnt get all sludggy and thick and nasty.

I knew I had parked in a certain lot and in a general area, but I completely forgot where I actually parked. Seeing that my car is white and snow is 'white' too, I nearly had to pee until the snow didnt turn yellow in order to find my car. But I found it and it was well coated. My car was coated in an inch and a half of ice underneth a couple of inches of snow piled on top. I had to run my credit card down the door jams because I kept pulling and pulling and nothing was happening.

As I am working at scraping the ice and snow off my car, a dozen people walked by smiling and snickering to themselves. This one guy even stopped to make conversation. His first comment, Welcome to North Dakota. Get use to spending half your days out here scrapping. And all I can think of in my head, Fucking North Dakota Winters. I managed to eek out something along the lines of yeah, this sucks.

Finally after working at unfreezing my car for over 35 mins, it was to the point of driving. But after my hands turned purple from defrosting the car, I gave up and went back inside. I really do need to get direct deposit.

2 Comments:

  • You DO NOT de-thaw your car! There is NO de-thaw. Thawing is what you did. To de-thaw would be to re-freeze. Geeze.

    And, hey. You get no sympathy about the weather. YOU picked that place and were all gung-ho about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

  • No what you need is a snow brush and an ice scraper (they're even two in one). Then you'd have been done in five minutes instead of half an hour. Welcome to winter.

    -Derek

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home