Stories from North Dakota

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Empty Nest Isn't That Great, Eh?

I think my parents are hating the empty nest. With my brother off to basic training shortly and well my decision to study in the northlands, things have been very quiet around the new, big, lonely house. I have recieved more calls, more pieces of mail, more inquires into my daily life, than ever.

For instance, my dad, whose conversation abilities include, "Hey, how are things?", "How is school?", and "Be good, study hard." kept me on the phone the other day for more than an hour. That's the longest he has ever been on the phone at one point in time.

My mother... she has called more times this last week, than she ever did while I was in Australia. She calls to tell me that she sent a package of my old mail, just silly stuff. She calls to tell me that the news in St. Louis was talking about the blizzard conditions in ND. She calls to tell me not to call her at work, because she is on holiday this week and next, but instead to call the house. She calls me to ask how much snow I got. She calls me to tell me that her and dad on on their way to Europe and wants to know if she should call me when they arrive in Frankfurt. She calls to ask me what my sex life is like... well not quite that intrusive, but it feels that way.

It is nice that she likes to hear from me. But if she doesnt stop being such the carer, what am I going to have to complain about or drink away later in life?

1 Comments:

  • You'll always be able to fall back on "I was smothered growing up" later in therapy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home